Salve Regina will conduct an arts scholarship competition for admitted students interested in music, theater, studio art or art history. Scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $6,000 will be awarded based on auditions, portfolio reviews or writing samples.
- Students must apply to Salve Regina by the Nov. 1 Early Action deadline and meet the requirements for admission.
- Students must have completed the online application by Dec. 1 and submit or schedule the below requirements for their major.
- Recipients must major in music, theatre arts, studio art or art history to renew the award.
- Recipients must remain in good academic standing to renew the award.
- Students will be notified of the decision of the scholarship committee by Jan. 31.
Studio Art Portfolio Reviews
Applicants must have between eight and 12 pieces in their portfolios. We realize that you have already submitted an arts supplement through the Common Application, however additional information is required to be considered for this scholarship.
Portfolios may contain various media. In regard to three dimensional work, students should include quality photographs showing multiple views of the piece. A document that numbers and provides information for each work in a portfolio should be included and must indicate: Title, size, date and medium (or media).
Portfolios must be submitted by uploading additional pieces to SlideRoom on the Common Application or by mailing CDs to Salve Regina University, Office of Admissions, 100 Ochre Point Ave., Newport, RI 02840, by providing a web link or by emailing [email protected].
Art History Reviews
Applicants must produce three concise samples of critical writing related to art history. Each sample should address one object (a painting, a sculpture, a building, a decorative arts object or any other object chosen for its significance for a given period).
- One sample should address an object from ancient times (ancient Egypt, the Near East, Greece or Rome).
- One sample should address an object from the medieval era or the Renaissance.
- One sample should address an object from the modern period between 1900 and 1980.
Each sample should address the art historical importance and context of the object. Each sample should average several paragraphs, be written in full sentences and be written solely in the third person. These can be texts that are either new or previously prepared.
The samples should be submitted by mail to Salve Regina University, Office of Admissions, 100 Ochre Point Ave., Newport, RI 02840, or emailed as Word or PDF attachments to [email protected].
The online scholarship application is open for fall 2017 Early Action applicants.